« Has redundancy changed your life for the better? | Main | Fabulous Issue 59 - tell us what you think »

Would you a Demi?

Would you feel pressure to get your post-baby body back? Did your partner love your pregnant figure?

Comments

Jenny

When I discovered I was pregnant, my husband and I decided to keep a diary detailing ecah step of our journey. We separately wrote entries on a daily basis and took a photo of my body each week. Now we have a lovely collection of memories to look back on and to share with our daughter when she's older

Amy Tolliday

Before I fell pregnant, I was a size 8-10. When I was pregnant, I put on weight and my body shape changed, but I felt no pressure to keep excess weight off. When I had my child, I felt no pressure to fit immediately back into my old sized clothes, but it just happened. I was then looked at as trying to follow the "celebrity obsession" but that wasn't the case. It was a natural thing for my body to regain its old size and shape- but I also feel that breastfeeding helped immensely too. My body shape has now changed, but I am back in size 8-10 as before.

It is awful for people like myself to read articles in magazines and newspapers about weight loss during pregnancy and afer birth. It happens naturally for some people and it is not fair to be damned for it. I have read stories where mothers have said they don't want to lose their baby weight too quickly, because they want to spend the time with the child not exercising and dieting- but believe me, I spent each minute of the day with my daughter but still lost the weight.

This is no supposed to make any mothers who do not share this same weight-loss aspect as me feel bad or whatever, but I am just trying to make people realise that we all do not do it on purpose.

(And also, it is nothing to do with metabolism in my case, as I actually have an underactive thyroid-meaning therefore that I actually have a low metabolism.)

CJ Munn

As the artist who created Rebecca's bellycast in today's article, I wanted to point out a very important mistake in the article. At no point did I smear plaster on Rebecca's belly as it stated, as doing so can cause burns and/or skin reactions. I use a completely safe, gentle, medical grade casting gel against the model's skin.

The words 'plaster casting' often confuse people who assume the mould is made with plaster, when in fact it is the finished sculpture or cast that is made with plaster. This is an extremely important detail, as some people may attempt to copy the more advanced forms of casting I do in my studio at home based on reading inaccurate information such as that printed here and end up hurting themselves as a result. Safety is my number one priority in my work, so if anyone has any questions about bellycasting or other types of body cast I am happy to advise and help.

The comments to this entry are closed.