« What's your relationship with your mother or daughter like? | Main | Would you a Demi? »

Has redundancy changed your life for the better?

Have you walked away from a successful career to do something completely different? Are women bearing the brunt of the credit crunch?

Comments

Cheryl

I was made redundant a few weeks ago and am desperately struggling to find another new role.

I have slashed my salary expectations by nearly £7k...something I cant really afford to do, but have no choice.

I have applied for nearly a hundred jobs in the last few weeks and so far I have no interviews and am lucky to get a response from each application.

I dont know what to do and cant see what I else I could possibly do!

I know others are suffering too, which is awful, but I am so worried that I may lose my house, Im also not sleeping well. Could really do with some good luck.

Clare

I have recently been made redundant after trying to return to work after maternity leave. I worked for a leading health club operator for 10 years and worked my way up from basic fitness manager too general manager running 1 club, onto regional manager running 20 clubs and then eventually 60. I left in May 2006 to have my daughter and when I returned to work a year later a role was created for me in part time position but no lower down the scale. I then left to have my second child and when I tried to return again in March I was told my role was no longer needed and could be split amongst a number of other people. Although redundancy has been all over the press and I had an idea it was on the cards nothing prepares you for the shock. I felt humiliated, embarrassed and generally unworthy. I felt as if I had no importance anymore as I had dropped down to a part time role due to wanting a family. As the weeks have gone by I have used my knowledge and experience not only as a fitness professional but also as a mum to change roles. I am now working as a self employed personal trainer and class instructor. I already have 20 sessions per week after one month and am loving it! I have many years of experience in a gym and also managing on a natioanl level making money for a huge company. I am using this combined with my epxerience as a mum (dying to get back into shape after having 2 kids) to help others achieve their goals and feel better about themselves. I know this is the kick up the butt I needed to set myself up in business on my own. This is definitly the making of me!

Amanda

I was also made redundant in October 2007. It was a shock as i had been in with the company over 5 years. But it was the best thing to ever happen to me! I took the redundancy money and booked myself on a round the world trip. After travelling to some amazing places, I am now happily living in Australia. I would never be where i am now if i hadnt been made redundant and given the push to do something like this!

The comments to this entry are closed.