« 'Love Cured My Crack Habit' | Main | 'I Had 300 Injections In My Face - To Look TEN Years Younger' »

'I Lost 1 1/2st Just 5 Days After Giving Birth'

Do you think it’s ok to diet during pregnancy? Would you diet during your own pregnancy? Have you dieted through your own pregnancy? Do you think it affects the health of the baby? Who should be the priority during pregnancy – the mother or the baby? Tell us your thoughts...

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e550a0de8a8834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'I Lost 1 1/2st Just 5 Days After Giving Birth':

Comments

Laura

Hi, I seem to be eating more now that I am pregnant in order get all my vitamins and minerals each day. I seem however to be putting on weight fairly quickly, already 6 pounds at 14 weeks. Some say to not eat any extra calories until the 3rd trimester- what do people think

Jen

What people have to get their heads around is that a stone of weight gained is baby, water, extra blood, extra weight of the enlarged heart and uterus, so being able to lose 1.5 stones 5 days after can be completely normal if the lady in question did not over eat or put on any extra weight, I was back in my size 10 jeans as i walked out of hospital after both my children were born and I didn't diet before or after the birth!

Jess_x

I wouldn't diet through my pregnacy has it could damage the health of my baby. I would watch i was eating though, healthy, as i eat a load of rubbish.

Grace

I just read this article and was frankly appauled.I dont even blame these women, society does now make us feel we should be in our size 10's a week later but i think its insane.

I am currently 9 months pregnant with our 2nd child, and am weighinh in just under 14 stone. I normally weigh 9 1/2 stone at 5'6" and i love how i look in my size 10's. but at the end of the day, you are the proud incubator for a human life, and such shallowness as caring how quick you get back in your jeans just seems insane!

I know all the professionals said they monitor their health etc. but at the end of the day, we should care only about the health of this precious life, only we can literally care for for these precious 9 months.

we struggled for our 2nd child due to medical issues, and the thought of in any way harming my unborn little girl horrifies me. Im confident when i am done breast feeding i will again get back into my size 10's, im still only 24 and obviously like to feel good about myself, but you know what, if i dont, so what?! i still get to have this precious gift in my life. the thought that so many women struggle to concieve and that people that do it without trying are willing to risk their babies health for vanity really angers me.

my partner says he still thinks i look beautiful because i am carrying his child, and post baby weight doesnt scare him, and im confident despite the fact that i currently look like a balloon!

the likliness of us concieving again is very slim, this was our 2nd miracle baby in 6yrs, but im grateful. i urge women who are concerned about their weight during pregnancy to try,hard as it is, i know, to ignore the magazines with celeb moms and just enjoy the actual experience of it. at the end of the day, they have the money and trainers and nannies to help them get rid of the baby weight. your body is amazing no matter what!! you have created life for crying out loud!!

i urge anyone considering 'dieting' during pregnancy to forget it and enjoy the one time in your life that you arent expected to obbsess over your weight!

M CLARKE

I ONLY PUT ON A STONE IN WEIGHT DURING MY PREGNANCY AND ATE THREE
SENSIBLE MEALS A DAY AND LOTS OF FRUIT IN BETWEEN.MY BABY WAS 6LBS 13OZ WHEN BORN AND A WEEK AFTER I ACTUALLY WEIGHED HALF A STONE LIGHTER THAN BEFORE I WAS PREGNANT. I DID NOT DIET AT ALL,
JUST ATE A LOT HEALTHIER THAN I NORMALLY WOULD WHICH RESULTED IN
ME LOSING WEIGHT FROM MY BODY DURING PREGNANCY. THE GUIDE OF GAINING TWO STONE SHOULD ONLY BE A GUIDE AS EVERY PREGNANCY AND
WOMAN IS DIFFERANT.

Sarah

I put on 5 stone during my pregnancy, due to pre-eclampsia and the sweeling being so bad. I also had a 9lb baby who was perfectly heathy.
What bothered me about this article was not the women dieting or their size but a Proffesional saying you should put on approx 2 stone. How many pregnant Mums who read thr article will now be obsessing over weight.
Does it really matter as long as mum and baby are healthy?
To all pregnant woman out there, enjoy your pregnancies.
Sarah

Kat Slaughter

Compliment your wife on being a new mum not what she looks like. If you feel unattractive after birth than you've got to get a grip of yourself lady.
This is your time to be a mother not a dolly bird.

These narcissistic women who have their 'achievements' in body image paraded in the press, have no place in being identified as any type of role model. They are damaging not only their own self-worth, but that of their childrens'.

Not once in the article does it mention that most mothers will lose that weight automatically from the placenta, fluid and drop in blood production plus of course the weight of the baby.
Do these women not think that there are enough anxieties associated with pregnancy than the way you look? What are they trying to gain from this?

It goes without saying that a healthy body and mind is paramount, but appearance and size is only superficial. This article did not mention metabolism, and indicated that women were using 'diet' plans as opposed to 'nutrition' plans. If this becomes a trend there will be an increase in birth defects as you are preventing the fetus the correct amount of nutrients through the placenta.

amy

I had a baby boy nearly 11 weeks ago and gained 3 1/2 stone. My little boy weighed 9lb 11oz when he was born and he is so healthy. I think it's disgusting that people deprive themselves and their baby when they are pregnant. I totally agree with healthy eating but to diet during pregnancy just so you can fit into size 8 jeans straight away...I think these women have their priorities all wrong. I've lost over 2 1/2 stone without even having to diet because I am too busy running around being a mum. I haven't breastfed either and I did not lose weight easily before I was pregnant. I think these women need to get a grip and relax a little.

gabydolores

I have three children and have been at least 10lbs lighter than my normal pre-pregnancy weight within a week of having each of my children. This is mainly down to the fact that I eat more healthily during pregnancy than when I'm not pregnant. All three of my babies weighed over 9 lbs at birth, and my middle child was nearly 11 lbs.

Dieting during pregnancy - in the sense of trying to eat healthily and not eating more calories than what you need to maintain your health and that of your growing baby, is actually a very, very good thing. It's not about calorie restriction. Women who eat healthily and who don't eat more calories than they need ARE going to be slim - there's no mystery to it! Pigging out while pregnant isn't sensible. There's good evidence that women who put on excess weight during pregnancy have poorer outcomes for themselves and their babies.

In my last pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which meant I had to be very careful about what I ate. I cut out all refined carbohydrates from my diet and ate wholegrains, oily fish, nuts and lots of vegetables. Within a week of giving birth to my 9lbs 3oz baby I weighed 8 and a half stone and my stomach was almost completely flat. My normal weight is about 10 stone.

I really think the key to a healthy pregnancy is optimal nutrition. If you're pigging out on sugary, processed foods and eating more calories than you need to maintain the pregnancy then you are harming both yourself and your baby, and increasing your likelyhood of problems during labour.

eve

I put on 21 pounds during my pregnancy and a week after gving birth to my 8lb son i was back to my pre pregnancy weight.
I did not diet or exercise during my pregnancy, I just tried to eat a bit more healthly but i stiil had treats!! I also breastfeed.

julie biggs

be4 i gave birth 12/half yrs ago is was a size 12 waist and 38dd chest. after i gave birth and be4 i left the hospital which was 3 days later i was a size 6 waist and a 32c bust and the only exercise i did was water arobics while i was pregnant. im the same size bust and a size 8 waist to date. i do believe that is possible too lose weight after giving birth and stay slim without being scutinized. i can eat what i want when i want without putting on weight and without being judged by the worlds press.

The comments to this entry are closed.