« Do you think the celebrities look better before or after their body makeovers? | Main | Has binge thinking affected your life? »

Have you been moved by Helen’s story?

Have you ever been a victim of domestic abuse?

Comments

dina

I can never understand how any women can stay with a man who abuses her. How can you love someone who pushes you down the stairs or nearly throttles you with their bare hands? Then go on to have children with these creeps and marry them in the hope that they will change! They WILL NOT change. These sort of men have no respect for anyone and will carry on until they are stopped one way or another. I am afraid it makes me so mad when I read about these women who continue to allow a man to abuse them.

Catherine

Helen's story will for sure strike a chord with other women with experience of abusive relationships but each of those women must understand that any family or true friend worth their salt will support the abused woman. If anyone should feel ashamed it is the abusers! What also stood out about Helen's story is that she was aware of Ralph's ex-girlfriend and isn't it likely that he was abusing her during their relationship? If Helen had known that Ralph's previous relationship had ended amid charges of physical violence she would have for sure given him a wide berth! I have the utmost respect for women able to get out of an abusive relationship but are their violent partners now free to go out and do the same to other women? If charges are brought or injunctions taken out shouldn't there be compulsory therapy for the abuser?

Michelle Payne

I can totally relate to Helens story, the abuser is a very clever person who chips away at your self esteem and your character, making you believe that it is your fault and then apologises, you then become a weak and meak person always apologising, until like helen you just snap and realise that you are not trash or dirt and that you will no longer be treated in this way. For those of us lucky enough to survive and come out the other side, we emerge stronger, survivors, not victims, wary of other men but determined not to be treated in this way ever again. It is difficult to make that first break though.

Mia

I understand Helens situation,i AM CLASSED AS A HIGH RISK LADY through domestic violence and in the past year have moved 4 times since fleeing from my partner,and yes womans aid are there to listen and they do their best to support you but reality is even thier hands are tied and they need more goverment support and awareness for the reality of living a life as domestic violence victim,differant councils differant views some very negative and you can end up as i have with no actual support only a friendly voice on the phone from womans support who can only reassure me that ive done the right thing in running,i used to judge women who returned to their partners now i understand ,you leave you lose your home your friends your family,your entire life,you stay you have a home friends and family but your risking your life,before i left i was dead now i just feel like im dying.I dont ever want anyone to through what myself and my children are going through,im just one voice trying to fight my own war trying to get help and advice that i need to start again but my cry is unheard....But i wish Helen all the very best for her future .......

Shaunagh Doyle

Helens story really surprised me as i didnt know domestic abuse was stil going on never mind increaseing i think what helen did was amazing and that she sets a good example for women everywhere. Dont put yourself through the pain ask for help if no it could be alot worse that cuts and bruises.

The comments to this entry are closed.