« Dressing up or down? | Main | No-diet tester »

Teen surgery

Should teenagers have surgery to lose weight? Would you consider going under the knife to lose weight or would it be the last resort? Rather than a quick fix solution like a gastric band, should we be getting to the heart of the problem instead?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e553a2c7cf8833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Teen surgery:

Comments

Teri

im 15 and i would consider surgery because these days you get bullied for everything-glasses ,weight ,style of clothes ,haircolour .whose to say what is perfect, but sometimes when your bulllied so much for the way you look you eventually start to think that theres nothing perfect about you and you want to correct your faults with surgery , im am currently saving up for lazer eye surgery and an acid peel for my face ...? so i guess looks do matter.

Hilda Kwafo-Akoto

Cosmetic Surgery is not the Cure to Comfort eating!
Obesity is reaching epidemic proportions nationwide which has an effect on those that are obese as well as tax payers. I am vehemtly opposed to teenagers resorting to surgery to lose weight. There are so many alternatives such as consulting their GP to devise a diet regime for them and counsellors to tackle the root of their comfort eating. I would recommed that the legal changes are made with all deliberate speed so that under 21 year olds are prohibited by law to go under the surgeron's knife. All operations are risky but the insertion of a gastric band into one's stomach is unnecessary in my view. Clincally obease teenagers need to perserve until they succeed with strict diet and exercise regimes as well as receiving the support of counsellors. It is vital for the root of their food issues to be resolved instead of skimming the surface by undergoig cosmetic surgery which fails to address the unhealthy lifestyle and lack of confidence these people have. Quick fixes have short-term benefits but a healthy balanced diet with regular exericse will be more beneficial in the long run.

Heather

I’m 18 years old and I have considered in having surgery. Not now but when I am older and have the money. Teenagers now a day are under to much pressure to look ‘perfect’ and thin but the easy and fast way. Not with dieting or thinking responsibly about what they are doing. Hospitals and the government should put any cosmetic surgery to 21 years old so teenagers can decide on what they actually want and then not regret it or feel that they want more. Cosmetic surgery should be given to teenagers who are 18 who have a huge issue about themselves and have been advised by professionals and know all the dangers about it.

The comments to this entry are closed.