« My extreme four-hour makeover | Main | Too terrified to have children »

Can You Be Fat and Happy?

Do you think you have to be a perfect size 10 to be happy? Georgia says that if there was a pill which would shrink you to a size 12 everyone would take it – would you? Has your weight fluctuated over the years? If so, did it affect your mood and outlook on life? Does size really matter when it comes to your happiness?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e551de1be18834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Can You Be Fat and Happy?:

Comments

celebrities

Over the past few months I’ ve noticed a new trend. Coffee evidently isn’ t enough anymore because they’ ve come out with the“ bikini barista” stands. Yes, the name says it all. It’ s like Hooters without the wings and more caffeinated.

Malina

Sorry Georgia Foster, I wouldn't take that pill. I'm fairly happy the way I am and I am a plus sized model to boot. I'm a size 20 currently and there are plenty of guys who've turned their attention my way! It's all about your confidence. If you're fat and down on yourself, other people see it and you become the 'fat friend' that was mentioned. Not many people want to interact with a mopey downer.. If you're confident and fat, then you're a beautiful woman. You'd be suprised how many men out there do truly appreciate a larger woman. I used to be the 'fat friend' with a depressing attitude because I was fat. Then, I made up my mind that I didn't care what anyone else thought and that I was fine the way I was. Ever since that change, I've been getting attention from more people, have been involved in more outings, parties, have gained more friends. I'm active and healthy and of course I'll indulge in the occasional pizza...but hey! Once you accept yourself and change that attitude, you'll start to see a drastic difference. Take care of yourself and your body and you will realize that being a size 10+ isn't a death sentence or a term of lockup to your house.

kate

why do you think size ten is fat ur all mad its like having a healthy weight isnt good enough you must be underweight

ceri

I have been called fat. yes i am pretty. Ive lost my confidence no being fat makes you unhappy, it feels like an early grave. Its like i am slowly dieing!!! Its true i cant look after myself. Life is a goal how depressing!

Simran

Iam a size 16 and want to be a size 10

Iam going to turn 16 next month .. ive had enought of crying coz i feel fat

Iam going to start going to the gym 2maro
N achieve what i reallly want to

U only get life once why not try n get all uu can out of it :)

Wish me luck :)

x

Ella

I think saying you're happy and insisting that you're sexy over a size 12 is the only way some women can cope with being generally undesirable and looked down upon. Deep down they hate it and feel shit about themselves, but they'd never admit it because the truth hurts.

Mike

Many women are unhappy with the way they look, especially when naked. Plus size curvy women can sometimes be even more so.
However, when any woman knows their partner is truly happy with their shape and size, they should respond by dispensing with their negative image of them selfs. My partner is a size 22, is big but very shapely, has 44hh boobs and a curvy bum. I would not swap her for any woman on the planet, and every time we make love it is pure heaven. I am very successful in all areas of my life and could find someone new in an instant, but would i want to? Not a chance... BBWs have many admirers and i am definately one of them

joanne

can you be fat and happy....YES, 100%of the time no,
but thats down to hormones! and all women suffer the curse of the hormones. fat or thin.

i adore being fat, i am happiest when i am fat, i have dieted (havn't we all) for my wedding i was a size 14, i went up to a size 26, then for my renewal of vows i went down to a 16-18, was i happy no. did i feel pretty? yes. But did i feel sexy? no.
and being sexy is what counts. to have a great sex
life you need to feel sexy, putting on all my skin tight pvc gear makes me feel stunning. and it works a treat!

i'm now back up to a size 24-26 and buying size 30's ready for the winter!

my confindence is at an all time high, i have a hubby who has asked me to renew our vows again, even though we only did it last year,and has asked me not to diet for it this time as he loves me for who i am not what size i am, so this time i'm gonna be a big fat wobbly bride and i can not weight,

i have 2 children who love me, we go out for walks and bike rides! i play football with my son, and skip with my daughter.
i work 13 hour shifts and im on my feet for 12.5 of them.
the way my belly sits on my thigh's keeps me warm in winter, and think of cooked pork chops how lovely does the fat look when its brown.

i own 7 bikinis and wear them in the garden, and i go topless on holiday.
Fat is the new black.... so deal with it,

n3ptun3z

The fact that this issue of weight and happiness being a topic of debate is clear evidence in itself that BIG people realise that being overweight is not aesthetically appealling. We can dodge behind all the flimsy blades of grass and say how we are learning to deal with it and how we think its sexy to have fat rolls and bulging stomachs but the truth is it's not! I also think it's equally selfish and lazy of over weight people to demand they be accepted for who they are - get over yourself, stop making excuses - your weight is evidence of your lack of sufficient self discipline! Start eating and living right!

Abigail hARRIS

It Isnt Really A Complete Question But I Think That All People Should Be Happy With The Way You Look. It Is Better To Be Medium Built Instead Of Being Super Skinny.

ben

You fatpeople are a disgrace. I love it when you all say 'I was just born fat and don't eat hardly anything, here check my diary!!! lol...Get a reality check look in the mirror, stop being deleduded, go do some exercise and I don't ean take a walk to the newsagents to get your daily dose of OK, Hello or some other welfare magazine.

You cost the NHS 1/2 a billion a year!!

Anyone can lose weight if they want, they just want soe self pity....get a grip, not a donut.

Lilly

Can you be big and happy?

That alone isn't a complete question; The question goes deeper - what about being skinny and happy, or freckly and happy? There are many things that we can blame depression or low self esteem on, not just body fat!

The more important question should be, are you healthy and happy? If the answer is no - look at why that is and take action...serious, why sit there and moan your sad when you could be happy? If it's so bad that you do feel you're clinically depressed, seek medical and psychological help - if you feel your sad because of your weight, start eating healthy and get a gym pass or start walking more...yes I practice what I preach.

Walking is great for keeping you fit and healthy - it doesn't hurt to add some into your daily routine! If that's impossible due to physical restrictions, then find an alternative that works for you! Good luck, and don't settle for feeling 'ok' anymore - you deserve better

nicole lumsden

so im a big size 14 and if there was a pill out their i would take it. I have always been big but ive had 2 children now and i would honestly just love to loose a bit weight. Ive tried everything there is i cant diet, soon as i do i eat a bar of chocolate. i have no wil power and thats just me. I dont have the time to go to the jym.so i have to put up with my wieght

Samantha Fraser

I Think That It Good For Them To Be Happy About How They Look. I Think That Its Better To Be Fat Than To Be Mega Skinny.

jackie

Hi I have just read happy and fat, I have been fat on and off over 40yrs now, at 14yrs to 17yrs i was overweight(10st7lb 5ft 1in) I was bullied at school, lost weight married at 19 to first boyfriend(didnt think I was worthy of anyone else). While on honeymoon I won holiday princess comp, I had two children born 1976,1981 managed to get down to 8st 10lb each times (still though I was fat) won a few beauty comps at holiday camps during 1980s (this was an incentive to keep my weight down) weight has crept up over time, I have suffered from depression during late 80s to 90s with dieting on and off, I have tried everything new on market. Iam now divorced and depression has gone, I have a partner 11yrs younger now, I now weigh 10st 10lb (i was 9st 10lb when i met my partner), Iam happier now I often wonder if my life would have been happier if I hadnt been bullied and started dieting at age of 16 just to be the same as everyone else isnt always the answere,its all down to the indivdual. I now relaise that happiness counts more.

milly

well no i dont think u can be fat and still happy i mean come ure most probably the size of a cow i can't fit into anything so no i totally dont think u can be fat and happy lol

ratiba

i want to ask u an cosmetic question please?

pauline houghton

i am a size 10 still at 47 i wasent allways happy you still have bulling and other things happen to you.I was picked on because i was thin.we are who we are i like people for who they are not what size they are or the colour of there skin what they have or havent got.We ALL have something about us we dont like and that is how it should be if you change it we only find something else we wont to change.As long as our heath dosent suffer be happy with what you have we are all in the same boat

Kayleigh

Im 19 im 17st. I Have neva been skinny and never really wanted to be that skinny but now as i have got older it has made me realise that people only look on the outside and not what is on the inside. I hate going out now as i have no confidence or self esteem and never feel comfortable with what i look like no matter what i put on. I just wish people wasnt so small minded and take whats on the inside into consideration!!!!!

Miss J.Field

Concerning your article Can you be fat and happy? April 13 Issue 11. Is weight and size the real issue here? Or is it self esteem? If you are genuinely happy with the image you see in the mirror then no amount of disapproval from others should alter that confidence. For all the ladies or gents who love their larger size all power to you. For those of you who don't, then you know how to do something about it. But either way, please aim for your own happiness not other people's.

Sammy

I have recommended this article to my friends at Seekingbbw.com. We BBW BHM are very proud of our size. I have known many plus sized people at this site, where you can find many Sexy, Curvy, Classy Women, open minded plus couples, hot big guys, also nice fat admirers, even some celebs.

Laura Ellis

Well to be honest it just goes to show why there is such pressure on women to be skinny!! There are so many narrow and shallow minded people out there we don't stand a chance !!!

Sarah Parsons

I am big and have been desperately unhappy about my size for a long time, but mainly because I am not healthy and worry about not being around as my son grows up.

I am a good friend of Laura's and I admire her confidence and self esteem. I have been told since I started high school by friends and family that I am fat and ugly.

I married as soon as I turned 18 to a guy that was completely wrong for me because I always believed nobody else would want me.

It took me almost 6 years to get the strength to end the marriage and do what was right for me and my son. It was the best thing I ever did. I am getting a little more respect and self esteem for myself each day and have found an amazing man who loves me for who I am, rolls of fat and all.

I am learning to love myself again, slowly but surely. I am trying to be more healthy so that I can be sure that I will be around for my son for a long time. I have been bogged down with some health problems for a few months now and yes, I might be losing weight because of that, but it's not in a good way.

As I said I am learning to love myself and be happy with the way I look, and a lot of that is down to friends like Laura who I look at with huge admiration and respect. She is a shining example of someone who is VERY happy with the way she looks and she deserves the very best in life.

So yes, some people can be fat and happy, but for some people, the public reaction can spark off very serious problems, not least eating disorders and depression.

We live in a world where people are getting bigger all the time, but there are the celebrities who strive to be size zero and the media attention that attracts is not healthy.
Learn to love yourself whatever your size and the world will be a happier place all round.

This is something I tell myself all the time and slowly but surely it is working.

Stephanie Moss

i do think it matters to the person themself. There is to much pressure to look good at the moment. i was a size 6-8 and i ate loads and never put weight on. i always felt that i was too skinny and didnt feel very confident. friends who was bigger thought i had a great figure and i was selfish for feeling like i was to thin. i have now put weight on and feel alot better. im a size 10-12 and i still feel i am thin i dont think anybody is happy with wat they have got.

Rita Favager

hi there, can you be fat and happy, well it all about confidance, I was a size 16 once and felt fat but I had the boobs I always wanted and yes I did feel healthy even being over wieght. Now I am around 10-12 and constantly feeling I do not want to put on any more wieght. How sad is that, I want to go out and pig out I want to let it all hang, I am 49 and trying to keep what figurer I have.
We are stuck in a world were we strive to be perfect, constantly thinking what other people think of us, yes we all have to admit we always want to be better, slimmer, brainer.
I at this moment in time want to be 5ft 7 inches, and a nice size 12.
this is never going to happen but one can live in hope.

The comments to this entry are closed.