« Tara Palmer-Tomkinson | Main | He Wants Kids - But I Don't »

Rich, Glam and Miserable

Can money make you happy? Or do you think money is the route of all evil? And what would you rather be - happy and poor, or rich and miserable?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e5505072428833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Rich, Glam and Miserable:

Comments

Louise

Don't get me started! Of course money itself doesn't make you happy but money can make life more pleasant.

I am in my late fifties and was made redundant two years ago. I have rheumatoid arthritis but cannot afford to give up work so now I have two jobs, one in a supermarket where I work twenty hours every weekend and it near kills me. I have two grown-up children; one lives in America and the other in Australia. We’ve visited the States twice and now are trying to find the fare to Oz. We don’t drink, smoke or ever go out – what else can we give up?!!

If I was rich I could see my lovely kids anytime I wanted – and I wouldn’t spit feathers every time I read about Chelsea and Prince Harry enjoying yet another holiday in the sun.

I know that compared to others the world over my life is fine – but I miss my kids and I am so tired of working so hard for so little. So yes, money would certainly make me happy!

Soosie Sharp

Please let me be rich and miserable as it has to be better than being poor and miserable (short and sweet--to the point)

Angela Smith

At least these ladies had the opportunity to find out if money made them happy or not, most of us will never have that luxury!!

angela

how can any one with money say they are missrebale. try living on my wages with the worry of trying to pay your morgtage and the house hold bill plus credit card bills that run into thousands (due to lack of money)
you could not possible be more missrible than me.
If you do not need the money send some my way.

Ainsley Carter

I think happiness comes from deep within us. We strive to be at peace and in the begining to have a wonderful relationship with our work , which then comes to enslave us tremendously.
Money will always enslave us.Those who have it seems to according to maslow actualise to the point where there are at the pinnacle of their status within society and there is nothing more for them to somewhat achieve, whereas the person like myself at the bottom have to continue to work hard and strive to achieve what some people are making .

Its not nice to be alone but I realise that having lots of money and life's necessities doesnt out weigh the one true thing we all strive for. Will Smith states in his film In the Pursuit of Happyness.

We work from being poor to achieving everything in life but sometimes at what cost. Living up to the high standards not being able to live a simple life is stressful and damaging.

Happy and poor out weighs being rich and miserable any day.

I have so many ideas that If I was rich i would put some of these to use and be happy as they are things I love doing.

Anyhow I wish those who are sad , miserable and unhappy all the best , just continue praying and he will assist you in your own pursuit of happyness......

Samantha Oneal

It appears that it is not the money why these ladies are /were so unhapppy but the way in which they earn their money, the stresses of the work and the type of work they do. People who do not earn a lot would tell you they may be unhappy because they are in debt and can't afford live and have to work long hours also!

Swings and roundabouts.

rosie

why do we do this to ourselves,why getting the right the balance with everything in life seem so impossible for us to grasp,the people without the luxuries in life,crave for it, while the rich depend on it even more so, how can joanna say that she does not want to fail, she is far from a failure.I really hope she feels more than been trapped or miserable, that she is so proud of herself, even more than family and friends are of her,her achievements are remarkable.
I really hope she finds all the happiness in the world,
I would say try and spend a little time at places with the less wealthy with a few friends where she may find no competition just good fun,
I wish her all the best of health, wealth, and happiness

many thanks .

rosie

why do we do this to ourselves,why getting the right the balance with everything in life seem so impossible for us to grasp,the people without the luxuries in life,crave for it, while the rich depend on it even more so, how can joanna say that she does not want to fail, she is far from a failure.I really hope she feels more than been trapped or miserable, that she is so proud of herself, even more than family and friends are of her,her achievements are remarkable.
I really hope she finds all the happiness in the world,
I would say try and spend a little time at places with the less wealthy with a few friends where she may find no competition just good fun,
I wish her all the best of health, wealth, and happiness

many thanks .

Kristy Vaughan

After reading both your articles by Kasie Davies I couldn't help but totally agree with Claire Hodgson about how much happier you can be by walking away from a stressed career and bigger salary in the City. I joined an Underwriting Agency just 3 weeks shy of my 17th birthday in London. I gradually learned almost all aspects of each department at the company and although not as lucrative as £120,000 a year, I did manage to earn a fairly good salary over the 13 years I worked there - eventually earning more than my husband! Unfortunately I began to stress more thereby working through my lunch, going in early and even travelling in on the weekends - always at no paid overtime, but counting on the yearly bonus to reward me.
My homelife began to suffer as a result and I got to a point where I had to decide if the whole City thing was actually worth it - would the company survive without me? My mother-in-law passed away whilst I was working there and it was tough to put work on the back burner so I could be there for the people that needed me. To what end would everyone suffer so that I'd have a bigger salary or this strange sense of acceptance from people around me that I'd succeeded professionally?
I handed my notice in some months later and applied to be a bus driver local to where I live. I got my license within 3 weeks and worked there for about 2 years. Eventually the shifts became more difficult and again my home life began to suffer, working weekends became the norm and not seeing my family the same. I then went for my hgv class 2 license and have been happily working for my local refuse/recycling company driving their collection lorries (dust cart). I've been there for nearly a year now and enjoy it so much that it's got to the point where almost everyone that knows me thinks I'm a complete weirdo! I even enjoy Sundays more now as I don't mind going to work on a Monday. I earn enough to live a happy life and my family have all said how much happier I am.
Best of luck to anyone who takes that leap, I was so scared but so very glad I took that chance, what good is more money if you are too stressed out to enjoy it or take time to enjoy it - especially if your missing out on important things along the way?
It was great to read your article and hear that there are more people out there that take some chances.
All the best, Kristy x

The comments to this entry are closed.