« Prom queens | Main | Mariella Frostrup »

June Sarpong

What do you think about gang violence? What do you think is the solution to gang culture? Have you ever been in a gang? Have you been threatened or intimidated by a gang?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e5538e33728834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference June Sarpong:

Comments

Nessa

THose people who carry knives around are looking for trouble and they are just cowards. They are just cowards. When some walk around withh a knife the are only going to use it for destruction. The society we are living in is so corrupted ans messed. They think that walking around in a gang is cool but its not this is only because they know they will just get a smack on their wrist. They need to give tougher sentencing like someone said minimum of ten years. If they can take the life of someone else they dont deserve to have a life of their own. Thats what I think. If they think they are so bad and playing bad why when they commit a crime like that why dont they just go and turn themselves in. Its because they are actually cowards and cant face the prospects of going to jail. Where they will no longer be free. But if you can take someone's life you will no longer be free. You may be free physically but never free mentally. This will live with the person for the rest of their lives. I dont think that these people think before they act. They have no morals and dont know the value of life. Young people you only have one life to live. Taking the life of another person is only shortening your own. Young people need to lift ther head up and do something with there life. There are so many young people out there who are so much worst of than the young people of Britain. Cant afford the education, clothes or food that the young people in Britain have for free. They have no need to be doing this. young people in Britain have got a great life doesnt matter if they are from a poor background they dont have to pay for education they have got free up until uni so what are their excuses. They have none. They are just weak-minded indiviual who need to be more open minded and go to school and make them lives better. Instead of ruining it. Even if they do come from a poorer background no one wants to be in the slums they work hard to get out from poverty. So a message to all young if you all ever read please please try to get yourselves together lift your heads up high and educate yourselves stop killing youeselves before you time. Life is for living. Have fun dont live in glum.
There are so many young people who dont have the freedom as you all do some of them have diseases you have never known existed living in hospitals, knowing when they are going to die, can't run, can't walk, can't see, can't talk, can't hear. If you open your minds to whats going on around you I hope this will open your hearts and see that what you are doing is useless.

Manny

Gang violence is a demographic issue. I have been exposed to gang violence and have seen the ultimate price paid by people who live by the law of the street. June is right that women have a major role to play but men have equally as important role to play in as much as we are the role models that our sons brothers nephews etc look to for direction. As men if we cannot set a good example in our real lives the minimum we must do is censor that which we do everyday that has a negative influence on young males who we do come into contact with frequently. I don't believe jails are holiday camps but the view society takes of individuals who have been there often narrows the options they have when they are 're-habilitated'. You dont often here of males been sexually abused or of them comitting suicide in holiday camps as much as you dont here of men stabbing each other of throwing hotwater on each other in holiday camps (descrition of jails used by another blogger). The media has a responsibity to show the cause and effect of why people become what and who they are without riduculing those people, we must get to the politics of it all. Once you understand the conditioning of something you can cure it suffice to say most children are not only shaped by mom and dad but also school the other children they play with there and within there community T.V. Music etc. The problem we face is social and we must deal with it together to alieviate some of the misconceptions we have that have led to the social decline we speak of today.

adorabelle

I find it absolutley terrifying that girls like Bianca are having babies. Well done to Peaches for getting her life sorted but Bianca has intentions of changing her ways.

Girls like Bianca shouldn't be allowed to keep their babies, her child will be another asbo thug in 12-14 years time.

jodie dyson

I think gang violence is awful. I don't know why people actually hang around in gangs and start fights. I know how it feels for All those people who have been victims of the horrifying words we call gang violence.
All i wish is that gang violence will stop and for the poeple who hang around in gangs and start fights will realize how disgusting it is.

i hope it stops RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzie

The only gang I was in as a teenagere was a mix of boys and girls, we would had hang out in the local park and in those day's a bobby on the beat would pass by around 9pm we would say our goodbyes and make our way home, no argument we knew he would wait until we had gone on our way. We were innocent kids, didn't cause any bother didn't want any and certainly did not gang up up other kids or old people, we were rowdy, shouting and laughing, never drank alcohol may have smoked but otherwise normal kids.

The problem with teenagers today in the majority of cases is lack of parenting. The parents don't know where their kids are, often don't care and if and when they are in trouble with the police there answer is well they are just being kids or what else is there for them to do as though the world owes them some form of entertainment because the parents can't be bothered to bring them up properly and don't accept any responsibility for their off spring.

My children had guidelines and if they stepped over the mark they would be grounded, computers, television anything they enjoyed would be taken from them, harsh yes but it had the desried effect.

Today they are respectable adults with good jobs, their own homes and bringing up children the way they were brought up as they know we will not tolerate rude, disrespectful, thugs in our lives and nor will they.

anon

build more jails & keep them in for a minimum of 10 years

nambooze

june is right until families especially mums and present dads take responsiblity for their children's behaviour we going to have a zimbabwe ruled by kids crime.pity how these parents never know what/who their youngsters are getting invloved with,then blame everyone else but themselves?

chazza

Well we need a law in this country now as all the laws we did have . have gone with the soft touch approach and all this civil rights rubbish . political correctness. i just dont know whats comeing next . crimminals get looked after better today than good working class people . just look at prisons they are holiday camps all luxeries good food do as you please most of the time . no work warm conditions . while we freeze at home.no brains today in the goverments.RUSSIA AND TEXAS PRISONS HAVE THE ANSWER . THEY DONT GO BACK TO THERE PRISONS.

The comments to this entry are closed.