« Binge drinking | Main | Prom queens »

Jackie Clune

What’s the secret to bringing up children? Do you think children get too much attention these days? What did you used to do during the summer holidays as a child and how has this changed for children today?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e5535fa9388833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Jackie Clune:

Comments

MAURICE CULLEN

Watched Jackie tonight on QI.She caught Stephen Fry out on something. As a straight person I found her very attractive as I am sure many women would. Is there a war on between the gay community and non homophobe strait people? and can a person not change their sexual preferences? For all I know she is gay again because the refences I got on this apart from this website dated to 2003 as for peadophiles, become a friend of the nspcc where you will get news letters that indicate that stanger danger is not the most common form of this abuse sexual or violent but that it can be more subtle and may be why a minority of children are behaving in such a bad way. Back to Jackie,well done and good luck.

M Cullen.

Wendy

This article is spot on. I have three young children and have finally learnt to back off. After years of organising craft sessions and turn-taking games, I have seen that they are far better at entertaining themselves than I can ever be. More parents should realise that a bit of boredom, dirt, rubbish food and silliness won't kill them.

Jo-Anne

What a brilliant article. I feel like a good Mum at last. I have 2 girls, 3 & 7. We have no ds's, gameboys, playstations or even Sky!!! I am a great believer in playing outside, making up your own games, & most of all having fun! Both my girls play equally as well on their own, with each other & with friends.

Vannessa

I agree with this article 100% Kids these days dont appreciate the expensive computer games and days out that cost a weeks wages! They have no imagination and get bored so quickly.

Maddie

As a teenager myself, I have grown up with the 'hoodies' and the 'yob culture'. As we all know primary socialization is key when it comes to a childs development and beliefs. However, secondry soialization goes n throughout life. Even if you bring you children up in the most perfect way, if they fall in with the wrong crowd then the chances are that they are mostly like to get in with the same antics as them.
If you don't pay your child any attention and sit infront of the television watching 'homes under the hammer' then they are not going to have a close bond with their family, therefore in teenage years not being able to confide in their parents resulting in all sorts of problems and barriers.
I'm not saying that pushing your child into every single class on offer is good either. As you could push them to far. A parent should listen to their child,and find out what they really want to do.
On the other hand, sending your child to clubs etc can be extremley beneficial. They will be mixing with children that have something to do, and enjoy the same hobby. On the other hand children who have nothing to do will most likely venture off from their back garden when they get older .. but with nothing to do and no where to go the streets are the only option.
Thats where 'hoodies' come in. The term hoodie came from the hooded tops they wear. This is just fashion. Its not a behaviour. I wear hooded tops and walk round town ... does it make me a yob? Anyway, in my opinion the main problem when it comes to yobs is that they are to wise on what their rights are. They are no longer scared of authority figures and authority figures are too scared to act incase they end up getting done. Most weapon carriers dont intend on using the weapon but carry it for protection. As culture has changed due to drugs and the media. Every generation has a role to play on the evolution of society.You may say 'shes only seventeen what they hell does she know' but i am half way through my sociology A level. I am doing well for myself and theres only me to thank for that. As it is easy to slip into a world of crime and violence and my PERSONALITY wouldnt allow it. Also, i have grown up, gone to school with, hung out with, been a girfriend to 'hoodies/yobs' and i would like to say that most are nice to you if your nice back. Its a dog eat dog world after all.
All the blame cannot be placed upon the parents when it comes down to whether your going to be a murderer, politician, young offender, a police officer, arsonist or a window cleaner. It comes down to personality and how easily you are affected by other people. There are many different factors that come into play with regards to how childrn are brought up.
The world has changed since you have grown up, and that is not our generations fault. We have just adapted to it, some in better ways than others.

Lauren Hogg

I don't think that there is a huge secret into bringing up children,as long as you love them,encourage them,listen to them and have time for them then everything will be fine.
I don't think that children have enough attention and they go elsewhere or cause trouble just so that someone tends to them even if it is for the wrong reason.
A lot of people rush into having children for the wrong reasons and once they appear can't be bothered with them.
In the summer holidays I was out morning until night playing games with friends,it was great. Now people are scared to let children out of their sight because of the increase in paedophiles and the other many dangers that no-one seems to police anymore.

Sophie

I think Jackie Clune's article was bang on. Its so nice to read some refreshingly honest writing about being a normal mum. I giggled all the way through and didnt feel guilty for my faults and failings as a professional mummy, well...for a few minutes anyway. Thanks!

The comments to this entry are closed.