« Fabulous Issue 41 - tell us what you think | Main | Have you overcome a major trauma? »

Do you agree that marriage isn’t for life?

How many times have you been married? Is it unhealthy to go into a marriage thinking it’s not going to last, or is it just realistic?

Comments

carol

Nobody knows how their married life will turn up, and for those who have a good marriage remember that there are others who did not find happiness but maybe great unhappiness, no one can judge a couple that separate because only they know what their life married to someone who did not live to the vows suffered. Good luck to all of you who have a happy marriage, but do not look down on those who are separated because you might be a statistic yourself one day. Everyone wants their marriage to survive and have a happy family, but unfortunatly not everyone is that lucky.

Rebekah

Personally, i do believe that marriage is for life. Its a vow undertaken until death do you part. My grandparents have been married for over 50yrs and still going strong, my parents have been married for nearly 20yrs. If you go into marriage with that negative thought marriage will never last for you it is most likely that it won't last as you are almost willing it to fail. Things that last are things that you believe in and have passion for. You have to be willing to make sacrafices and put in effort, nothing lasts without work. I am not married and never have been as I am only 21 and have my whole life ahead of me but i wish to be married one day. I think that we should look to the older generation for inspiration as they are a true example of how marriage should be. If you know its not going to last, don't go ahead with it!

Marina Palin

No, I don't agree that marriage isn't for life. The whole idea of marriage is to be married for life otherwise it's not marriage. If you marry knowing that eventually you get divorced than don't get married. If you need to sleep with someone for couple of years than don't get married. Sleep and then say goodbye. The main purpose of marriage is to have children and give them a stable environment in which they can grow up and flourish to become normal human beings. Look at Ms Ulrika Johnson who sends a terrible message to all women. According to her it's normal to have several children from several fathers (and she is always married, isn't she). It's ok for her, of course. Rich lady with a lot of "admirers". Did she ever asked her kids if they love to have such a "large" family full of different daddies in their lives? So it's ok then. The reality is different.
I am afraid I have very strong views about this article which sends a wrong message. Ah, I got bored of you - lets split up - I'll go and find somebody else to sleep with. If you feel that way about marriage - do not get married then. I appreciate that there are some marriages when women and children suffer from their husbands and dads and these are special cases.
Please do not publish unhealthy attitude - the society is paying for it already.

Jordy

If everyone went into marriage thinking the same as Julie Burchill, there would be little point in getting married at all. Just because Julie and some celebs don't get it right doesn't mean that nuptials don't last. My grandparents have been married for over 60 years, my parents for over 35 and I've been married nearly 10 years myself. Matrimony isn't without its ups and downs - like any relationship it takes work - but if you love each other, you are willing to put the effort in. Frankly, it's only stars who rush into marriage or can't be bothered to make it last, not us normal folk.

Claire Westgarth

I married for life in 1995 after we had been together for 5 years. It has not been plain sailing and we have had our fair share of ups and downs but know that we will work through whateve life throws at us and stay together come what may. People who think at the start of a marriage that it has got a sell by date should not be getting married in the first place.

Moses

To go into marriage thinking that it will not last is to cheapen it to the utmost extreme.
Marriage is honourable, which ought to be entered into by people who love each other for who they are, believing it will be a source of happiness and companionship for as long as these are sought.
The major problem in this age is that people have no slightest regard for the author of marriage- God. In as much as some go to alter and seek the participation of the minister of gospel in it, they seek not the blessing of God in their hearts.
Let all peoples of the earth, great and small, rich and poor be advised: Seek the hand and blessings of God in your marriages, and the honour which rightly fits this institution will be restored.

The comments to this entry are closed.