« Gina Yashere | Main | Bond body »

10 years in a hellhole

What lengths have you gone to to get out of debt? Would you ever be tempted to do something this drastic to pay off a loan? Do you think Sarah Jackson realised how serious the crime was she was committing?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

Comments

Angela

I believe you should feature Simon's side of this story. There are hundreds of us campaigning for him to come home and we have had very little interest from the UK media which is disgraceful. This poor man is still in Peru. Despite an innocent verdict in November the prosecution has appealed and the judicial process could take 6 months. He has no means of making a living and his family are running out of money to support him and pay the legal fees. If he is unable to return to the UK until July (which is how things are looking right now) then he will have lost two and a half years of his life when he has done absolutely nothing wrong!

Suzanne Banham

Is there anything we can do to help Simon? Can we get a petition organised or something? Surely he should be allowed home until Sarah's court case due to him being completely innocent? I watched Banged Up Abroad and was reduced to tears after learning what happened to Simon. It is dreadful. Nothing will give him back the time that he has lost and it's a disgrace that it took 10 months to clear him and on top of that he's still paying the price of somebody else's massive mistake by not being allowed home to his family and friends. I only hope he gets compensation enough so that he can live the rest of his life doing what he wants, when he wants. I feel I could be doing something though and I'm not sure what that is. . . .

vann jeanes

As much as i have little sympathy with sarah Jackson , i feel desperately sorry for Simon Burke , who it appears was manipulated by a greedy , cynical and calculating waster.
However , has anyone tried to help Simon , as he appears to be a lost soul , with no means of persuasion with his situation .
Surely the british embassy or his MP could do something to get him out of Peru .
Or , is it the case , that he could have known more ?

Jane Smith

I have to say I feel a little bit sorry for Sarah – she must have been in a real state to resort to such desperate measures, and she probably wasn't thinking straight when she agreed to do it. And now she not only has to suffer in jail, but she also has to live with what she did to her friend as well.

Molly

I cannot believe how many women are naive enough to think they can smuggle drugs and not get caught – and then have the audacity to act all innocent! Sarah was incredibly stupid – and all for the sake of a £4,000 debt. Why resort to such extreme measures to pay it off? There is no way I would ever be tempted to do something so dangerous for such a meagre amount of money. And I certainly wouldn't risk getting my friend banged up either!

The comments to this entry are closed.