« Do women have it tough? | Main | Are you a wedding addict? »

What have you done with your wedding dress?

Would you consider selling it on eBay? Do you think it makes sense to sell your dress once it’s been worn?

Comments

zam

I am having a big dilema whether to sell my wedding dress or not.I have been happily married for 10 years.After the wedding i hung my dress in the wardrobe and it has stayed there ever since.Only recently it came in my mind to sell it because it was just gathering dust upstairs.But when i took it out, the feeling of the happiest day of my life came flooding back to me and the thought of selling it made me quite sad.Could any one help me here by giving me their views,I want to know if they have been through a similar situation as me and did they regret it.

Helen Jones

Funnily enough, this is a conversation I had with my mother and sister-in-law recently. My mother-in-law sold her wedding dress just after she got married and she even went to the church to see the woman who bought it getting married in it! I, however, cherish my dress so much that I would never dream of selling it. It hangs up in my spare bedroom and I often open the bag and have a peek to cheer me up. My sister-in-law gets married in a few months and she isn't sure what she will do with her dress. I have suggested we keep them together and have a wedding dress party in a few years time. Fingers crossed we will both be able to fit in them!

mrandmrslloyd

My wedding dress cost me just over 60 pounds. I bought it at a dress shop in Shetland Island and added a few pieces of lace to soften the neckline which was square. Our whole wedding cost just over 3000 pounds. We've been married for almost 9 years. I would never sell my dress but then again, I would never have spent a fortune on it in the first place!

Anne Cunningham

I would never dream of selling my wedding dress. I have been married for 22 years and each anniversary I get it out and try it all on. I have two children (aged 17 and 20) and they both think Im crazy but I have to admit that Im proud that I can still fit perfectly into it. Not many people can say that after 22 years. My husband thinks it's great that I try it on each year.

I can see why some people would want to sell their dress if it has caused bad memories but mine will stay in its box and get an airing every year, for as long as it fits me.

Sally Smart

I bought my wedding dress for £800, and had it made as all the ones I had tried on just were not right. We went for the full on church wedding, and planned our honeymoon in Mexico. How ever the gods were against us.
A few weeks before the wedding we had a phone call from our photographer, to tell us that his partner that was due to take our pictures had died. But he would be sending a replacement.

Coming from a very scottish town in the middle of england, when we ordered by nephews kilt (as hes was to be a pageboy) it was to be dark green. From a local hire shop up the town. It came the week before the wedding and was light green. When we complained they told us because it was July its was their 'summer' colour kilt. There was no time to change so we had to keep it. Also wrong with the outfit was the shirt ordered was the wrong size, so my mum bought a new one for him. The jacket ordered was also the wrong size so we had to just turn the cuffs up.The shoes that came were dirty. So the only thing that was right was the SOCKS..

Then the last fitting for the three bridesmaids, the same weekend. My friend was chief bridesmaid and was 5ft 8ins tall and my little sister was 5ft 0!!, when they tried on there named dresses hers was 8ins short. We just thought it had been tagged wrong...but no the lady had cut the wrong one as my sisters was a perfect fit. She had one week to make a whole new dress.

Well the day came and we thought all was well and nothing else could go wrong!!..I was at my parents house and my hubby to be was at our house in the near by village where we were due to be married. He had a call from the flower shop( also in the village) to say they were struggling to get the flowers delivered because the police had sealed of the village. Due to someone trying to rob the local bookmakers. So they couldn't get out, the car to pick my hubby up couldn't get in and nor could all the guests....AAARRHH..But within the hour the flowers arrived and we were allowed on our way, although a wee bit late.

So apart from that the day was fab, and after it all finished me and my new hubby when off to our hotel for the night. Some friends joined us in the bar for a night cap. I asked for the keys to go and see the room. I thought they said room 44, so I went there to find to people making love on 'my bed'...I promptly made my apology and ran to the front desk and asked for the manager. He looked horrified and we walked together to 'my room'...and walked straight passed the door i had just opened. He showed me 'my room' and explained the person behind the desk had given me the MASTER KEY, and my room number was 54.ARH!!

Well we went on holiday to Mexico and had THE most amazing time. You will be pleased to know that nothing happened on hoilday and we came home bronzed and beaming with smiles waiting to see how the photos turned out......Yes you guessed it....

All four of the newly appointed photographers cameras failed and we had no pictures. The original photographer saw so apologetic and said this had never happened to him in 20yrs. He had contacted his insurance and would pay for the whole thing to happen again, (hire cloths, flowers, cars the works). I was so upset I just ran up stairs and cried. We couldn't give him an answer there and then and he gave us time to decide. A few days later we decided that we couldn't do it all again. He gave us a full refund and the pictures that had turned out. Also I didnt know that friends had rallied round and got all their photos together and gave them to him to fill in the photo album. Of which I hate and never look at as it reminds me of all that was against us that day. I wished then I had never got married in the uk and should have gone away to do it.

So Would i sell my wedding dress on Ebay...HELL YES...cant wait to get rid!!....haha

maria

When I got married we had a small baby and money was very tight. My husband bought my dress for me but it was too big and we couldnt afford to get it taken in. I kept it for 3 years as it was beautiful but when i had my daughter i had to sell it as she needed so many things it broke my heart as i would have loved to have given it to her.

Dee

I would sell mine as everytime I pass the wardrobe I remember the lasses in the shop being bitches to me and make me feel I was useless. I was given a size 20 dress when they knew I was a 16 and they blamed me for it uh?????. I was even told to eat more and that is the last thing a bride wants to hear isnt it. The cows that they where and I havent even been married a year.

Jenna

I dyed mine and now wear it to balls and fancy evening dos - it cost so much, I wanted to get some extra wear out of it!

Jessica Peasey

I can totally sympathize with Lianne Allen. I had the same experience with the same style dress. I hate the way the dress gaped at the cleavage... If I could re-new my vows I would just so I could get rid of those horrid photos!

Joanne

I have tried selling my wedding dress on e bay after my ex walked out two days before the wedding but one on seems to be buying dresses. I don't wont it coes it brings back that day he did it. my dad paid £800 for it.

christine

I sold my wedding dress to a work friend for her daughter who was called christine too.
She in turn sold it to another christine how strange!!

John

My wife simply didn't buy an impractical fancy white dress to start with so she's never had to sell it and can use it whenever she wants. That's because because getting married was more important to us than how we got married, the dress, the size of the cake, car and all the other things that supposedly make the "perfect" day. And our marriage has lasted....

Shannon

I designed my wedding dress and had it made to measure as all the ones in the shops were too big and not suitable. But even though it cost me £600 and I only wore it the once I wouldnt sell it. Its MY dress and I will keep it forever.

Teresa, Horsham

My husband cheated on me less than a year into our marriage and I divorced him. I was devastated and whilst I didnt want my beautiful dress in the house as a constant reminder, I couldnt face getting it out to sell it. I gave it and all the things that went with it to Oxfam, so someone got a gorgeous dress and the money went to help others. They have special shops that sell only wedding stuff. A good way to help others whether you're still married or not.

Fiona Stevenson

I have worn my wedding dress three times. The first being the big day itself. The second was our wedding blessing the following day. The third was to thank Trisha Goddard for arranging the dress for me. The next time I plan to wear it is for charity later this year.

When the charitable events are finished with or I don't fit in it anymore, then I would either sell it and give the proceeds to charity or give it a bride in desperate need of a wedding dress.

To me there is no point leaving it hanging in a wardrobe doing nothing.

The comments to this entry are closed.