« Questions for Jamie Oliver | Main | Groomless bride »

Freegan model

What do you think of Star's lifestyle? Would you consider taking food from a skip if it saved you money and helped the environment? Do you think it's a disgusting thing to do or is there nothing wrong with choosing to live like this?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e553c5af1d8833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Freegan model:

Comments

100shoeswomen

I wouldnt do it but if others want to do it and it saves them money i dont think theres anything wrong with it espesially if theres nothing wrong with the food

Ann Langford

Course it is ridiculous, for children this young to be wearing makeup, etc.,as for Caitlins Mum Lisa to say its difficult as a Mum when your daughter admires your clothes and makeup and wants them for herself, she looks scruffy and overweight, hardly a rhole model! We have to protect children, explain to them why they are too young for certain things.Erins Mum is telling her she doesnt look pretty as herself, she is too pale and her curly hair is not attractive, really boosting her selfesteme!

ronald duffy

I think it is fine for young kids to wear makeup , now and then? What harm are they doing to society, nothing at all.

Muriel

Ok girl's now feel they have to look like this and that because the media has influence (their parents) to be like supermodels or popstars. They forget that children are children and have to enoy being a kid at heart,not what their parents put pressure on them to be.When the children now at 3 and 10 are trying to be growing ups,when they reach puberty and older will they want to be kids!!!

Susan Latim

This is regarding babie barbie,l aman ex model with three boys and my youngest being the forth a beautyful daughter my ex partner is caucasian and l am of african originso my children are mix raced.the story really got me because l believe like alot of mothers out there that my daughter is beautiful but l also belive in natural beauty in the industry l have been in and the amount of eating disorders l my self went through to be the perfect or rather wrong body weight and the pressure we set alot of teenage kids today to live upto is so wrong. my daughter has alot of time when shes older to experiment with cosmetics when shes old enough lwant her to belive beauty comes from within and should build her confidence on that. also to have a child of 10 or 3 years using cosmetics which can be abrasive on our adult skin especially spray tans is your daughter going to thank you when her she starts suffering fron skin conditions or adverse effect effects of cosmetics at early age and what does it say for her mental state when she feels she cant go any where without make up.Its a new age what happened to making our kids comfortable ib there own skin. loving the inner being and appreciating who they are or rather who they see inthe mirrior.THAT is the real person lets not make our children a generation of fake, supper ficial wanna be. They are beautyfuljust the way they are.

Hannah

I think its ok once in a while to be pampered like on my first date last wednesday i went to have my nails paints and some gem stones on,but i do think that Erin is way to young to be having all that done to her because by the time she is 7 she will be asking for spray tans and fix on nails. And i bet caitlin is very pretty with out all the spray tans and designer outfits the only designer thing i have is a Jasper Conrad swimming costume!It's shocking what children of such a young age are having done.We are all pretty in our own way so no one needs all that make-up being piled on to there faces!!

Leah

Madge? MY VERDICT;;
Her hands are kinda veiny, but she gets work done. She looks amazing but sometimes my dog looks better.
During the day, some snaps of her are bad.. and the pictures in the "red circle of doom" are terrifyingly disturbing sometimes.
They all are. She's old now, and she's still amazing sometimes.
I'm currently listening to Holiday, and she looks great.
But she had a good life, and her time of glam gran will be up soon. She's aging, life has been good for her.. but soon she'll just be a wrinkly prune.
I REST MY CASE. LEAH x X x

Rachel

I am a twin myself and i nearly cried when i read "life without my sister will never be the same again"(Issue 28) i can't start to understand how hard it is for sally, she is 26 and i am only just starting college, it just shows that everyday each set of twins should be gratefull for what they have, i know i am!

Rachel

I think it is ridiculous, i am a teenager and never did things like that at 3 and 10, at that age shouldnt they be worrying where there barbie dolls are not when their next fake tan is or their nail fixture has gone wrong?

anne

making young girls old before their time..

Caroline Eagles

This was really interesting to read, myself and 2 friends have just bought a buisness, a childrens beauty salon, we only do parties, we do hair, make up, paint nails, tattoos, body gems, lots of glitter and sparkle. We have disco music playing, cup cake decorating and jewellrey making, and lots more.
We have a huge demand for these sorts of parties here (Silsden,Keighley) and the girls coming to their own salon makes them feel so special, its all for children, all harmless fun that any mums would be doing in their own home, they feel grown up without having any grown up treatments.
Would be happy to do a feature or debate for magazine to show how inoccent and fun this can be.

michelle burke

i was amazed and stunned at the article about these children, is this really all we have to teach our kids? how to put other children down by saying unattractive children can feel left out. in my opinion there are no unattractive children as everyone feels that their child is beautiful! and why not? all children have a right to be their own person but i feel these children are having this right took away from them, is it because they think their child is unattractive and are trying to make them look more attractive so they feel they will fit into our society easier? its wrong, let these children grow up naturally and then they can decide if they want to be paraded around caked up in makeup and wear silly hairdos. give them the same choice that all children should be given weither they are UNATRACTIVE os not.

Cherelle

Reading this made me so angry. Its not fair that a mother should do this to her poor 3 year old daughter. Has she not considered that straightening a 3 year olds hair is going to damage it?All you are doing to this pretty little girl is dressing her up for your own amusement - painting her nails!!!. Go and find someone your own age to do this to and leave your poor daughter alone.

gemma

I think that the woman who puts blusher on her 3 year old is a disgrace to motherhood!!!!!
Let the poor girl be a child for heavens sake!

The M

I honestly see her as being at her best now. I am not a fan of her music and never have been but in my opinion she radiates beauty.

Hilda Kwafo-Akoto

I believe Star is living her life as a serial thief, it is not a question of whether shopkeepers and supermarkets are unnecessarily throwing away food and thus having an dertimental impact on the environment. Taking food items and furniture from skips is stealing period. I acknowldege that Freegans are helping to save the environment but at what risk. Food posioning kills. I would not choose this lifestyle as rats and all sorts can be found in skips, but each to their own.

Mr Stevenson

Interesting story, and I noticed the skip shown was Somerfield. I have worked for Somerfield for over 3 years. I think its important to realise that it could be dangerous to eat products from the skips. Products may have been sitting at room temperature for a whole day before being placed in the skip, and numerous products are removed for other reasons such as contamination at factory level or because of poor product quality. The use by dates on products are intended as a guide but as the article states, chilled products are much higher risk than for example bread. If the products were bought within date within the store they could be purchased at up to 75% off and guaranteed safe to eat! Whereas raking in the bins could land yourself in serious difficulties with the company and the law!!

Lorraine

Hi,
Star says she is saving about £30.00 pound a week by being Freegan, surely she would be spending that in fuel to travel to supermarkets etc, assuming she drives, especially now as she has to travel to rural places? She might as well buy her shopping.

Suzie

I was rather surprised to read about 'Freegans' not a concept of dining that I have come across and certainly changes the meaning of 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' as there obviously is if you know where to look.

On a more serious note I personally hate waste and feel that supermarkets do create huge amounts and it is a shame that they cannot donate the food to a deserving cause as there are many people out there that would appreciate this. I suppose the supermarkets feel that the risk of being sued and possible reprucussions they would rather throw the food out.

Although I would not personally grope around in other peoples refuse to gain a free meal I suppose for the 'Freegans' of the world if you don't mind something that may have been chewed by a rat or even worse then good luck to you! It takes all sorts!

lou

Great love story!

Nicole

Even though I thought Stars story was quite disgusting, I did see the good side of it and thought that she is savin the enviorment but doin this little bit more. I personally wouldn't go through skips for food but the furniture bit seems quite interesting.

Malandra Burrows

Hello.
I think Star is doing a good thing, its not disgusting, They are
people starving and would proberly run a mile to get to a skip of
sellby date food in packets, I am a vegetarian myself, if I so a
skip or bin with food in packrts not split or bulging I would use
the food myself. Good luck Star.
From
Malandra Burrows.

The comments to this entry are closed.