« Shazia Mirza | Main | Joyti De-Laurey »

Repossession

Have you lost everything after getting into debt? How did you cope? Did it affect your relationships with people? Do you bury your head in the sand about your financial situation?

CLICK HERE TO SHARE YOUR VIEWS NOW

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7d5d25883300e55368bb058834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Repossession:

Comments

iamme

why dont she and her husband stay in 1 house in the meantime until each of them can get their own better life back? as in the story, they are still in good terms, they can save a lot and still very near to the children, staying together doesn't mean they have to be a couple again, they can have their own bedrooms with restrictions and rules to each other which they have to follow. If they follow the wise choice to still stay in the house together despite the separation, i think they can still save the house without blaming other people or agencies did not want to help them, the important is help yourself first before asking others to help you...

AnneMarie Callan

By chance I found this magazine as I was passing through London - having been through the last recession in London, I know only too well the pain and despair of being in debt. The panic attacks, the being on the verge of a breakdown, the shame and the complete nightmare of each letter and telephone call to be dealt with.

We lost everything because we had purchased a business just one year before the recession. The bank and accountants had checked it out but had not foreseen the coming recession. The house went, the business and all our financial policies were taken.

After retraining myself ... I was in the middle of writing an ebook on the fashion business, two years ago, when I read about a man in the next village to me in Suffolk, who committed suicide because he could not afford to pay his rent. That was it, I was compelled to write about how to turn debts into a fantastic now life.

There is life after debt ... a fantastic successful life and for absolutely everyone, if only they but just knew how to go about it. Yes, you can turn your debts into a fantastic new life ... and believe me, debt is just a challenge ... a chanllenge you can win.

mrs jacqueline otway

i read the artical in the sunday mag and it brought it all back to me i was lucky my husband was at my side but i lost everything i lived in the house for 15yrs it was a council house to start then we bought it in 2002 everything was wonderful we both had jobs with good wages then my husband lost his job and got another but it was not as well paid i was trying to keep things going for a long while until i left my job to start another one and it just got worse i had problems at work with the manager so i left and went somewhere else and i went back into a similar position i was getting intimidated by the manager being made to feel small so i was crying everyday so i left after putting a complaint and i counld not get a job at that time because my self assteim was so low, so for weeks and weeks i tryed to stuggle on and our debt was piling up and i could see no way out so i spoke to my husband and said this is the only choice but to give the house back to the morgage company it was heart breaking i was so low i was so close to having a break down it was my home and i brought my kids up there i felt this was the best option because i could not have handled the baliffs calling it would have took me over the edge. i had to look for a rented house because i was told i would not get a council one for a long time i had no one to talk to because i was so ashamed that this had happened to us i blame myself i still am embarassed no one has come to see us we had no help from anyone i have had to deal with this myself i feel so alone and i still cry everyday i am a broken person, i know live in rented property we pay 495 each month i am now back at work but i couldnt tell my boss what happened to me in case i lost my job what even more was a couple of my kids were more concerned about what there friends might say it just shows no one wants to know you when you have nothing its so heartbreaking.

sammy

I think it is horrible she has children then she gets repessesed and ended up homeless i think that is horrible and no 1 should be homeless and specially not if they have children..xx

i felt so sorry 4 her and her children

x x

ELAINE LOWE

I JUST READ THE STORY ABOUT THE YOUNG MUM WHO'S HUBBY LEFT AND HAD HER HOUSE REPOSSESSED.SHE WAS VERY BADLY ADVISED,WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE WITH JUST HAVING A BABY N LOSING HER HUBBY.
THE SOCAIL SERCURITY WOULD HAVE PAID THE INTEREST ON HER HOUSE AND LET HER STAY THERE,OR A HOUSING ASSOCIATION WOULD OF BOUGHT HER HOUSE AND RENTED IT BACK TO HER.I WAS ALSO LEFT ALONE WITH 4 SONS AND DECIDED TO SELL MY LOVELY HOUSE,I CPOULDNT BEAR TO NOT OWN IT ANYMORE AND TO HAVE TO RENT IT BACK,WHICH I DEEPLY REGRET.I WISH WE'D STAYED THERE AND JUST PUT UP WITH ANY FAULTS THAT CAME ALONG AND THE HOUSE NOT HAVING ANY REPAIRS,WHICH WAS ANOTHER REASON I SOLD,BECAUSE I COULDNT AFFORD TO KEEP UP AND MAITAIN IT ON BENEFITS.
I WAS TOLD THE SAME BY THE COUNCIL,THAT I'D MADE MYSELF INTENTIONALLY HOMELESS?THEY SO NEED TO STOP THIS RULE,IT'S WRONG.

ALSO SHE COULD HAVE GOT A CHILDMINDER PAID FOR BY TAX CREDITS IF SHE WANTED TO GO BACK TO WORK.THE THING IS YOU END UP SO ILL AND DEPRESSED BY IT ALL,YOU CAN'T WORK AND END UP ON ANITDEPRESSANTS,THE DOCTORS ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.I'M NOW HOOKED ON THEM AND HATE THAT I CAN'T FUNCTION WITHOUT THEM.
I LOOK BACK TO TIME'S WHEN I DIDN'T TAKE ANY TABLETS,I'M ON THEM FOR IBS AND ALLSORTS NOW.YOU CNAT WORK WHEN YOUR HEADS FULL OF ALLSORTS OF WORRIES.

I ALSO CRY WHEN I GO PAST OUR OLD FAMILY HOME,I EVEN THINK I HATE THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN OUR HOME.I LOVE MY HOME.I SOLD IT FOR £46,000 8 YEARS AGO AND NOW ITS WORTH £120,000.
WE HAVE BEEN MOVED TO TEMPORY ACCOMIDATION,THEN MOVED TO A PRIVATE HOUSE,WHICH WAS FAB,LOADS OF ROOM,BUT IT WAS IN A STATE OD DISREPAIR,SO WHEN I COMPLAINED AND GOT THE COUNCIL INVOLVED THE LANDLORD EVICTED US,ALSO I COULDNT AFFORD THE EXTRA £100 A MONTH RENT THE COUNCIL WOULDNT PAY,ON MY BENEFITS.THEN WE WAS MOVED TO A AWFUL HOUSING ASSOCATION HOUSE,IN A AWFUL AREA AND OUR NEIGHBOURS MADE OUR LIVES HELL.A VIOLENT TEENAGER WITH MENTAL PROBLEMS LIVED THERE.IT WAS TERRIBLE.THE HOUSING ASSOCIATION KNEW THIS WHEN THEY MOVED US THERE.THERE WAS ALSO A PROSTITUTES HOUSE ACROSS THE ROAD AT ONE TIME AND ON MY FIRST NIGHT THERE,I WAS WOEKN UP BY A PUNTER,I WAS MORTIFIED,COULDNT SLEEP.
THEN WE GOT MOVED TO THIS HOUSING ESTAE WHERE WE HAVE BEEN STUCK EVER SINCE.IT'S HELL.A LAD THAT ATTACKED ME AND MY FRIENDS,IS NOW IN JAIL FOR MURDER,HIS MUM STILL LIVES NEXT DOOR BUT ONE.

I WENT BACK TO COLLEGE AND LEFT THE COURSE 3 MONTHS BEFOR IT FINISHED,DUE TO DEPRESSION.I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN TO SEE PYSCHAITRISTS AND THEY SAY I'M NOT A DEPRESSION SUFFERER,I'M A VICTIOM OF CIRCUMSTANCE.
IT MAKES ME MORE DEPRESSED THAT I KEEP THINKING BACK TO THE LIFE I HAD AND I CNAT STOP THE THOUGHTS,THE DAYS I WAS MARRIED,HAD A JOB,A HOME AND A CAR.IT STILL HURTS ELEVEN YEARS ON.

I'VE ALSO LOST MY 2 DOGS,DUE TO THE HOUSE I'M IN NOW AND VIOLENT NEIGHBOURS LETTING THEM OUT BECAUSE THEY HATED MY FAMILY,THEY WERE FRIENDS OF THE MURDERER.THIS IS WHERE WE END UP,ON UNFIT HOUSING ESTATES AND OUR CHILDREN END UP LIKE THE HOOLIGANS THAT LIVE ON THEM.THEN WE GET BLAMED FOR BEING BAD SINGLE PARENTS.
MY 17 YEAR OLD SON,IS NOW LNOWN AS A PERSISTANT YOUNG OFFENDER AND HAS BEEN TO JAIL TWICE ALREADY AND COULD END BACK IN THERE.
THIS IS ANOTHER PROBLEM THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO SORT URGENTLY
HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW MANY KIDS ARE GOING TO JAIL NOW FOR VIOLENT ATTACKS AND MURDER?MY SON COULD BE THE NEXT VICTIM OR MURDERER,I'M SAT LIVING WITH THAT DREAD.

THE ARTICLE MADE THE POOR WOMAN LOOK LIKE SHE'S MOANING,WHEN THERES LOTS OF US SUFFERING THE SAME FATE.

Diane - Leicestershire

i think this story of Maxine King is terrible , she was willing to pay her debt and the bank wouldnt waiver the redemption fee to allow her to sell the house and start again and yet these people always qoute " we will do all we can to help you" and then they go and sell the house at a fraction of what it is worth anyway , it just dosent make sense , they dont care and the council are the same and yet if you come in from another country , you get everything , a house , furniture , benefits etc.This country is a laughing stock at the moment!

Lisa Harrison

I could not believe the story of Maxine King who lost her home. Its such a shame that it went that far but its an even bigger shame that no one was willing to help her before it was to late!
I really hope it gets better from now on for her. It also highlights the plight so many home owners are now facing.

The comments to this entry are closed.